SMG is an award-winning network of specialist commerce agencies - Threefold, Capture and our tech led agency, Plan-Apps. At SMG, our people are at the heart of everything we do and we are proud to provide opportunities for career growth, recognising and rewarding great work, and doing this within an inclusive, highly flexible, and innovative environment.
We are dedicated to support our employees to be the best version of themselves both inside and outside of work. We have an extraordinary culture built by exceptional people and it’s because of this that we’ve been recognised by Best Companies within the top 5 best Marketing & Media agencies to work for, with a World Class and Outstanding accreditation across the past 2 years.
Across the group, we have a shared mission to lead connected commerce marketing.
Read a summary of what each of our agencies do here!
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer who can be based in either London or Leeds to join our Engineering team who will be responsible for designing and implementing the practices and technologies that allow for the seamless development, deployments, and operation of our innovative Plan-Apps SaaS platform. You will also be responsible for designing, managing, and the setup of our AWS cloud-based infrastructure, ensuring that we are operating in a secure, scalable, and robust environment. You will champion optimisation and automation and play a key role in our future technical architecture decisions that will allow us to continue to scale and grow to meet both the development team and wider organisations needs.
What you'll be doing
We pride ourselves on creating challenging and exciting opportunities, meaning that no two days are the same. However, here's an idea of what your responsibilities will look like:
- Manage our AWS infrastructure, putting processes in place to ensure our environments are stable and secure.
- Create automated scripts and IaC that optimise our DevOps and Infrastructure operations.
- Implement security best practices on the infrastructure and support the remediation of regular security / audit scans.
- Manage our releases, coordinating and managing product updates delivered by multiple teams.
- Actively enhance our monitoring & logging and use this data to continuously look for areas of performance optimisation.
- Work closely with the technical team to support new features and design new services as required.
- Recommend new tools and best practices within our SDLC - we are always looking to improve!
- When required, help advise on the feasibility of technical projects and features and provide mentoring and guidance to more junior team members.
What you'll need to have / be
- Proven DevOps experience with SaaS/web platform administration preferred.
- Experience managing production AWS environments, ideally with AWS Certification.
- Previous experience managing the majority of our technology stack such a:
- Reach (create-react-app) / Bootstrap
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk
- Opensearch (ES, Kibana)
- SugarCube DNS
- Demonstrable experience of designing and building new features within the infrastructure design.
- Working in agile product development environments with regular and multi-team releases to production.
- Experience with CI/CD tools - a bonus if you’ve done them with BitBucket.
- Comfortable scripting in a variety of languages, and in particular Infrastructure as Code.
- The ability to create documentation and guides that ensure other team members can manage the infrastructure.
- Comfortable in agile delivery tools such as Jira & Confluence.
P.s. we try really hard to make sure that we list only essential criteria here, BUT if you think you can do an amazing job, yet don't have every single thing on this list, we'd still love to hear from you.
The best bits
Here at SMG we are dedicated to continuously reviewing and improving our benefits package to offer the best that we can for our people. We have a whole page dedicated to our benefits here, but here's some of our favourites...
💰 Generous discretionary bonus scheme
🧘♂️ £1,800 yearly wellbeing fund (on top of your salary!) towards your personal wellbeing and passions
4 additional Wellbeing Days - one to be taken each quarter, dedicated to focusing on your wellbeing
📚 £500 yearly “Uni Fund” towards learning and development
🎧 Free headspace subscription
🕐 4pm Friday finishes all year round
🥳 Two fully paid conferences a year at Summer & Winter, as well as a dedicated team that put on activities and celebrations throughout the year
- We will invite you to a first interview which we try to keep relatively informal, so it gives you the opportunity to share your authentic self. The hiring team will be looking to understand more about your experience and why you're interested in working with us.
- There will be a second interview which will last a little longer, and involve some form of task to showcase your ability to do the role.
- We then invite you to a meet & greet which is an opportunity for you to meet the team you'll be joining and ask them questions about the role and wider business.
🌟 Helping you shine 🌟
We are committed to helping you shine and show your full potential by making any changes you might need throughout your application. If you need an alternative way of applying for this role, support with understanding the role and its requirements, changes to be made to the way we hold our interviews, or anything else, then please reach out to us. You can either let us know on your application form or contact the people team to discuss how we can help on firstname.lastname@example.org.
🤝 SMG are proud to be an equal opportunities employer 🤝
We are fully committed to providing equality in the workplace and ensure all opportunities for, and during employment, will be afforded to individuals fairly and irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race including colour, ethnic or national origins and nationality, religion or belief or sexual orientation ("the protected characteristics"). We want our organisation to reflect the diversity of our communities and we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds. More information on what we are doing can be found here.
Our full data retention policy can be found here. Got questions? Take a look at our FAQ's here.