SMG is an award-winning network of specialist commerce agencies - Threefold, Capture and our tech led agency, Plan-Apps. At SMG, our people are at the heart of everything we do and we are proud to provide opportunities for career growth, recognising and rewarding great work, and doing this within an inclusive, highly flexible, and innovative environment.
We are dedicated to support our employees to be the best version of themselves both inside and outside of work. We have an extraordinary culture built by exceptional people and it’s because of this that we’ve been recognised by Best Companies within the top 5 best Marketing & Media agencies to work for, with a World Class and Outstanding accreditation across the past 2 years.
Across the group, we have a shared mission to lead connected commerce marketing.
Read a summary of what each of our agencies do here!
For this role you will work in a hybrid way (ideally 3 office-based days per week), with regular presence in our Leeds hub and travel to our Manchester office. There will also be occasional travel to London.
As an Associate IT Engineer, you will need to encompass the seamless maintenance and operation of IT infrastructure within the designated hubs. You will need to provide proficient technical support to end-users and promptly address hardware, software, and network issues to ensure minimal disruptions. With a focus on troubleshooting and issue resolution, the engineer will diagnose complex technical problems, identify root causes, and implement effective solutions to optimise system performance. Integral to your responsibilities is system administration, encompassing user account management, server configuration, and workstation maintenance.
You will oversee network management, ensuring reliable connectivity across LANs and WANs, whilst also prioritising security compliance to safeguard sensitive data and meet regulatory standards. You will collaborate on IT projects, documenting procedures, and managing vendor relationships, striving for continual improvements to stay abreast of emerging technologies and industry trends to enhance infrastructure, processes, and services proactively.
What you'll be doing
We pride ourselves on creating challenging and exciting opportunities, meaning that no two days are the same. However, here's an idea of what your responsibilities will look like:
- Provide technical support to end-users, addressing hardware and software issues promptly.
- Troubleshoot and resolve IT-related problems, escalating when necessary.
- Manage all aspects of IT at our northern office hubs (Manchester and Leeds), ensuring a seamless IT environment.
- Work collaboratively with the wider IT Team to resolve service requests and incidents logged into the service desk system, including service desk tickets from our other office hubs.
- Implement security measures to protect systems, networks, and data from unauthorised access, cyber threats, and malware, installing and maintaining firewalls, antivirus software, and intrusion detection systems, and conducting security audits and assessments.
- Document system configurations, network diagrams, troubleshooting procedures, and other relevant information , generating reports on system performance, security incidents, and compliance status.
- Assess system requirements, evaluate hardware and software options, and plan for future growth and expansion which includes analysing resource utilisation, identifying bottlenecks, and optimising system performance.
What you'll need to have / be
- Substantial and proven experience working in an IT function at this level or at a comparable level and experience working with large-scale technology rollout projects.
- The ability to analyse complex technical problems, identify root causes, and develop effective solutions.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and a systematic approach to issue resolution and Strong Customer Service.
- Solid experience of working with the Microsoft and Google 'stack', particularly Active Directory, Windows Server, and Google Apps Manager (GAM).
- Experience with Atera RMM toolset and comfortable with using and supporting Apple devices.
- Strong technical aptitude with a logical approach to problem-solving.
- The ability to work independently and make decisions confidently.
- Strong collaborative skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams, vendors, and external partners and being able to build strong relationships with customers, peers, and key stakeholders.
- Work in a structured and accurate manner with excellent organisational skills and prioritises workload to meet deadlines.
- Highly self-motivated, demonstrating a "can do" attitude with a solution-focused mindset, with the ability to problem solve to deliver an excellent user experience.
- Identify opportunities to improve IT service processes.
- Microsoft MCITP or equivalent qualifications would be highly desirable.
P.s. we try really hard to make sure that we list only essential criteria here, BUT if you think you can do an amazing job, yet don't have every single thing on this list, we'd still love to hear from you.
The best bits
Here at SMG we are dedicated to continuously reviewing and improving our benefits package to offer the best that we can for our people. We have a whole page dedicated to our benefits here, but here's some of our favourites...
💰 Generous discretionary bonus scheme
🧘♂️ £1,800 yearly wellbeing fund (on top of your salary!) towards your personal wellbeing and passions
4 additional Wellbeing Days - one to be taken each quarter, dedicated to focusing on your wellbeing
📚 £500 yearly “Uni Fund” towards learning and development
🎧 Free headspace subscription
🕐 4pm Friday finishes all year round
🥳 Two fully paid conferences a year at Summer & Winter, as well as a dedicated team that put on activities and celebrations throughout the year
- We will invite you to a first interview which we try to keep relatively informal, so it gives you the opportunity to share your authentic self. The hiring team will be looking to understand more about your experience and why you're interested in working with us.
- There will be a second interview which will last a little longer, and involve some form of task to showcase your ability to do the role.
- We then invite you to a meet & greet which is an opportunity for you to meet the team you'll be joining and ask them questions about the role and wider business.
🌟 Helping you shine 🌟
We are committed to helping you shine and show your full potential by making any changes you might need throughout your application. If you need an alternative way of applying for this role, support with understanding the role and its requirements, changes to be made to the way we hold our interviews, or anything else, then please reach out to us. You can either let us know on your application form or contact the people team to discuss how we can help on email@example.com.
🤝 SMG are proud to be an equal opportunities employer 🤝
We are fully committed to providing equality in the workplace and ensure all opportunities for, and during employment, will be afforded to individuals fairly and irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race including colour, ethnic or national origins and nationality, religion or belief or sexual orientation ("the protected characteristics"). We want our organisation to reflect the diversity of our communities and we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds. More information on what we are doing can be found here.
Our full data retention policy can be found here. Got questions? Take a look at our FAQ's here.