SMG is an award-winning network of specialist commerce agencies - Threefold, Capture and our tech led agency, Plan-Apps. At SMG, our people are at the heart of everything we do and we are proud to provide opportunities for career growth, recognising and rewarding great work, and doing this within an inclusive, highly flexible, and innovative environment.
We are dedicated to support our employees to be the best version of themselves both inside and outside of work. We have an extraordinary culture built by exceptional people and it’s because of this that we’ve been recognised by Best Companies within the top 5 best Marketing & Media agencies to work for, with a World Class and Outstanding accreditation across the past 2 years.
Across the group, we have a shared mission to lead connected commerce marketing.
Read a summary of what each of our agencies do here!
We are building a small but perfectly formed Strategic Planning function that will sit within our Global Centre of Excellence team and are looking for a Strategic Planning Manager to join us as part of this. In this mid-level role reporting into a Director, you'll be gathering & disseminating knowledge and information on the market & key industry trends, distilling them into useful & actionable insights that guide the direction of our own business and that of our clients. You will deliver consultancy & advice to clients on how to maximise their Retail Media proposition, whether it’s guiding retailers to set up and optimise their own Retail Media Network (RMN) or helping advertisers to get the most of their investments.
What you'll be doing
We pride ourselves on creating challenging and exciting opportunities, meaning that no two days are the same. However, here's an idea of what your responsibilities will look like, across the two core functions of the role:
Internal strategic planning
- Analyse global retail media market trends, providing internal insight & strategic recommendations.
- Track the competitive landscape, sharing news on market moves & their implications for SMG and our clients.
- Create and deliver trends presentations internally for two key audiences:
- All employees, to ensure everyone is supplied with relevant information on our market.
- Review and analyse our annual client survey for insights into clients’ requirements and actions to be taken by the business.
- Conduct benchmarking exercises, to compare our capabilities with industry best practices and competitive benchmarks to identify areas for development.
- Lead the development of consultancy projects and RFPs for new business prospects, working with other Axis experts as requirement.
- Provide external market reporting and insight that can be shared with clients at QBRs, leveraging this information to guide and develop our capabilities and roadmaps for our RMNs & advertiser clients.
- Develop the content and substance of SMG-run marketing events & collaboration forums (including our annual Retail Media Summit), preparing insightful presentations & developing the framework for entertaining panel discussions and interviews.
What you'll need to have / be
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to gather, analyse, and interpret data & information to develop actionable insights and recommendations.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate complex ideas clearly and effectively to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated project management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects concurrently, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and establish strong relationships with clients and internal stakeholders.
- Proactive approach with the ability to ‘opportunity spot’ without always being directed.
Our ideal talent profile is someone who has Retail Media industry experience, ideally from a strategic planning background. We will also consider candidates with management consultancy experience with the right aptitude to quickly learn about our industry.
The role will be scoped at Manager or Senior Manager level within our organisation, dependent on the experience of our chosen candidate.
P.s. we try really hard to make sure that we list only essential criteria here, BUT if you think you can do an amazing job, yet don't have every single thing on this list, we'd still love to hear from you.
The best bits
Here at SMG we are dedicated to continuously reviewing and improving our benefits package to offer the best that we can for our people. We have a whole page dedicated to our benefits here, but here's some of our favourites...
💰 Generous discretionary bonus scheme
🧘♂️ £1,800 yearly wellbeing fund (on top of your salary!) towards your personal wellbeing and passions
4 additional Wellbeing Days - one to be taken each quarter, dedicated to focusing on your wellbeing
📚 £500 yearly “Uni Fund” towards learning and development
🎧 Free headspace subscription
🕐 4pm Friday finishes all year round
🥳 Two fully paid conferences a year at Summer & Winter, as well as a dedicated team that put on activities and celebrations throughout the year
- We will invite you to a first interview which we try to keep relatively informal, so it gives you the opportunity to share your authentic self. The hiring team will be looking to understand more about your experience and why you're interested in working with us.
- There will be a second interview which will last a little longer, and involve some form of task to showcase your ability to do the role.
- We then invite you to a meet & greet which is an opportunity for you to meet the team you'll be joining and ask them questions about the role and wider business.
🌟 Helping you shine 🌟
We are committed to helping you shine and show your full potential by making any changes you might need throughout your application. If you need an alternative way of applying for this role, support with understanding the role and its requirements, changes to be made to the way we hold our interviews, or anything else, then please reach out to us. You can either let us know on your application form or contact the people team to discuss how we can help on firstname.lastname@example.org.
🤝 SMG are proud to be an equal opportunities employer 🤝
We are fully committed to providing equality in the workplace and ensure all opportunities for, and during employment, will be afforded to individuals fairly and irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race including colour, ethnic or national origins and nationality, religion or belief or sexual orientation ("the protected characteristics"). We want our organisation to reflect the diversity of our communities and we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds. More information on what we are doing can be found here.
Our full data retention policy can be found here. Got questions? Take a look at our FAQ's here.